- Pack one room at a time. Be sure to label each carton as you proceed.
- Pack what you need least, first. (i.e. If it is winter, pack all your spring items).
- Try to keep all packed boxes as close to the door as possible.
- Place heavier items in smaller boxes, linens and towels in medium sized boxes.
- Label cartons by listing what items are in the box and designate which room it should be delivered to.
- Try to pack a few cartons a day, starting well ahead of the move.
- Be sure to have the correct packing materials.
- Be sure that the bottoms of all cartons are secured and will hold the weight of the contents.
- All heavier items should be packed toward the bottom of the box and lighter items toward the top.
- Regarding carton size keep this in mind “the heavier the item, the smaller the carton.”
- Don’t leave bureau drawers completely full for the move - the bureau will be too heavy.
- Do not overload the bureaus drawers or damage may occur.
- Be sure to remove all items that might break. Partially empty drawers and fill spaces with small, fragile items like clocks or picture frames wrapped in loose clothing.
- Don’t put tape on drawers - it could stick to the finish.
China and Crystal
- Use: Tape, Small and medium boxes, Bubble wrap, Unprinted newspaper.
- Don’t use compartmentalized liquor boxes unless the compartments are made of sturdy cardboard and you put a layer of packing material on the bottom first.
- Glasses and cups should still be wrapped in bubble wrap or newspaper.
- Don’t forget to mark the appropriate room for each carton.
- Seal and mark Fragile - China.